Air Malta is the national airline of Malta and connects Malta to destinations throughout Europe. This Mediterranean island nation makes for a great warm weather vacation destination. The airline’s weight restriction for hand luggage differs depending on the ticket class you have purchased. Air Malta provides both size and weight limits separately for your carry on item and your personal item. You’ll find more information about hand luggage size allowances below.
Updated October 2019
Please note that some posts contain links that earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Headquarters Country: Malta
Hand Luggage Size for Air Malta
Number of cabin baggage items allowed:
- Just Business and Business upgrades, and Go Light, Go Smart and Go Flex: 1 carry on bag + 1 personal item
- Smart Business and Business Freedom: 2 carry on bags
Maximum allowed in imperial: (converted)
- H x W x D = 21.5 x 15.5 x 8 in
- H x W x D for personal item = 15.7 x 11.8 x 5.9 in
- Weight of personal item = 4.4 lbs
- Weight = 22 lbs
- Weight = 33 lbs for Smart Business and Business Freedom (22 lb max for one item)
Maximum allowed in metric: (official)
- H x W x D = 55 x 40 x 20 cm
- H x W x D for personal item = 40 x 30 x 15 cm
- Weight of personal item = 2 kg
- Weight = 10 kg
- Weight = 15 kg for Smart Business and Business Freedom (10 kg max for one item)
Will your hand luggage make it into the cabin?
Air Malta’s website also indicates that not all hand luggage will be guaranteed to be taken into the cabin.
On A320 aircraft, only the first 100 carry on bags will be guaranteed to make it on the plane, and on A320neo and A319 aircraft, only the first 80 carry on bags will be guaranteed. After those numbers have been reached, Air Malta will gate check the remaining carry on bags free of charge, assuming those bags meet their normal carry on luggage size and weight restrictions.
To have a better chance of keeping your hand luggage with you, board as early as possible. Keep in mind that “Business Class ticket holders, Flypass Diamond & Permanent members and families travelling with young children are offered priority boarding.”