Using packing cubes for travel is one of the best ways to organize your luggage. Traveling can be an amazing experience, but let’s face it, no one really likes the packing part. Years ago, Andy and I started using packing cubes, and it was a game changer for us. They keep clothing and other items organized, and some packing cubes can actually help you save space.
When it comes to travel packing cubes, there are a few important things to consider to make sure they fit your needs and how you will use them. With over 20 years of travel experience, and way too many packing cubes in our closet, we definitely have some opinions about what makes a good travel packing cube.
In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide to the best packing cubes for travel. From the most durable to the most lightweight, we’ve got you covered.
Please note that some posts contain links that earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Quick Verdict: Best Travel Packing Cubes
Don’t have time to read the whole article? Don’t worry, I get it.
Andy and I have spent hours testing various packing cubes to identify the best ones for travel. We never travel without them, and we own more than I want to count.
My top recommendations
Are packing cubes worth it?
If you like to stay organized while traveling, packing cubes can be a great investment. They can help you save space in your luggage and make it easier to find what you need while on the go. However, if you prefer to pack haphazardly or don’t mind a little disorganization, packing cubes may not be necessary.
Andy and I have been traveling with packing cubes for more than a decade, and it has seriously helped. I love how organized it makes my luggage and how much easier it is to jam everything into my bag.
Quick look travel packing cubes mentioned in this article
- Best overall: eBags Travel Cubes Set of 3 Classic Packing Cubes
- Best fun design: TRIPPED Travel Gear Packing Cubes
- Reader favorite: BAGAIL Packing Cubes
- Best for smaller cubes: Well Traveled Packing Cubes
- Best compression cubes: Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Packing Cubes S/M
- Most professional-looking: LEVEL8 Packing Cubes
- Best lightweight: Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Set
- Best for budget travelers: Amazon Basics 4 Piece Packing Travel Organizer Cubes Set
- Best compression with mesh panel: NOMATIC Compression Packing Cube
- Best durable zippers: Thule Compression Packing Cube Small/Medium Set
Best Packing Cubes for Travel and Organization
If you’re an avid traveler, you know how important it is to stay organized while on the go. Packing cubes are a great solution to keep your luggage tidy and make packing and unpacking easy.
We’ve put together a list of the best packing cubes for travel to help you choose. Whether you’re going on a weekend getaway, traveling for 2 weeks in a carry on, or taking a month-long adventure, these packing cubes will help you stay organized.
Best overall: eBags Travel Cubes Set of 3 Classic Packing Cubes
If you’re looking for an affordable and high quality packing cube set, eBags Packing Cubes are a great option. These are actually the first packing cubes Andy and I owned, and they’re still doing great after 12+ years of traveling with them.
- The set includes three different sized cubes with a handle for easy carrying.
- The mesh top panel allows your items to breathe and makes it easy to identify the contents.
- The soft mesh won’t damage delicate fabrics.
- The cubes may not fit larger items such as shoes or jackets.
- They might be a bit more expensive than some other packing cubes.
- The seams may start to fray after some use.
The eBags packing cubes are perfect for organizing your clothes, and They have lasted us more than a decade with very little wear and tear. They come in a variety of colors, and the mesh top panel allows you to easily identify the contents of each cube, making it easier to find what you need.
Best fun design: TRIPPED Travel Gear Packing Cubes
If you’re looking for a reliable and efficient packing cube set for your travels, the TRIPPED Travel Gear packing cubes are a great option. And I just love the national parks prints, they’re super cute!
- Save space in your suitcase with compression cubes
- Use expanded or compressed for ultimate flexibility
- Comes in a few solid colors or a few different cute travel themed styles
- May not be as sturdy as some other options
- Not see-through, so you can’t easily identify the contents without opening them
- Slightly more expensive than some other packing cube sets
The TRIPPED Travel Gear packing cubes are a great way to keep your suitcase organized. The compression cubes are especially useful for packing more in less space, and the different sizes make it easy to separate different types of clothing. However, they may not be as sturdy as some other options, and not having a transparent panel can make it difficult to quickly identify what’s inside.
The extra large cube can hold a surprising amount of clothing, or bulky items such as jeans or sweaters. I’ve even used it to compress my memory foam pillow. The smaller cubes are great for t-shirts or other smaller clothing, electronics, toiletries, underwear, or swimsuits. The set also comes with a laundry bag for dirty clothes or shoes.
Reader favorite: BAGAIL Packing Cubes
If you want to keep your luggage organized and save space, BAGAIL Packing Cubes are a great choice, especially as a budget option. Travel Made Simple readers buy these often, and I like how many different packing cubes come with the set.
- The packing cubes are lightweight and durable.
- The different sizes and colors make it easy to organize your luggage.
- The set comes with 8 pieces at a budget price.
- The zippers can sometimes get stuck.
- The mesh top panel can be prone to snagging.
- The shoe bag can be too small for bigger shoes like boots.
The different sizes in the BAGAIL set of packing cubes make it easy to organize your luggage, though I’d only use some of the bigger ones if I was traveling with checked luggage. I like the small bag they’re calling a sock bag and the cosmetics bag with a divider and little pockets. The larger cubes have compression straps inside, similar to what you have in a lot of suitcases, which I thought was an interesting detail considering how much clothing you can fit into the large cubes.
Best for smaller cubes: Well Traveled Packing Cubes
If you’re looking for a reliable and stylish packing cube set, the Well Traveled Packing Cubes are a great option to consider. I like the smaller options for organizing the little things that can get lost in my bag too easily.
- The design allows you to maximize space in your luggage.
- The premium twill fabric feels luxurious and durable.
- The set comes with 8 pieces, including accessory bags and a drawstring bag you can use for laundry or shoes, and even a set of labels you can personalize.
- The cubes may be too small for some travelers, mostly if you travel with enough stuff for checked bags.
- The price point is higher than some other packing cube sets on the market.
- Some customers have reported issues with the zippers and stitching.
The Well Traveled packing cubes are perfect for travelers who want to stay organized and stylish on the go. The design allows you to fit more items in your luggage without sacrificing space.
The premium fabric adds a touch of luxury to your travel experience, and the set comes with 8 pieces to help you stay organized. The stack of labels that you can slide into designated slots is a nice touch. I also really like the smaller bag for makeup or other non-liquid toiletries.
Best compression cubes: Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Packing Cubes S/M
If you want to keep your clothes organized while traveling, the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Packing Cubes is a great option. I have one that I use almost every time I travel, and it has held up well for many years.
- Made with durable and lightweight material
- Water-resistant to protect your items from the elements
- Compression zipper allows you to free up more room in your luggage
- Some users find them too small for larger items
- The material may be too thin for some users’ preferences
- They may not fit all types of luggage
The Eagle Creek compression packing cubes are perfect for keeping your clothes and travel essentials organized. The compression zipper allows you to pack more items, and the water-resistant material ensures your items stay dry. However, some users may find them too small for larger items, and the material may be too thin for some people.
The one I own has lasted me for many years of travel, so I haven’t had any problems with the thinner material. It means it’s a pretty lightweight packing cube, which is great.
Most professional-looking: LEVEL8 Packing Cubes
If you’re looking for packing cubes that are lightweight, durable, and a little more professional-looking than the average packing cubes, then the LEVEL8 Packing Cubes are perfect for you.
- Made of high-quality, water-repellent polyester fabric
- Comes with a set of four packing cubes of different sizes (including a cosmetic bag)
- Equipped with extra removable DIY rubber patches that remind you what’s in the cube
- Some customers found the cubes to be thinner than expected
- Despite the above, the material is a bit thick compared to most packing cubes on this list
- A few customers felt that the price was a bit high
The Level8 travel packing cubes set comes with four packing cubes of different sizes, one of which is a cosmetic bag, making it easy to organize your clothes, toiletries, electronic accessories, and more. The cute removable rubber patches allow you to divide and classify your belongings neatly, saving you time and space.
One downside to these cubes is that some customers found them to be thinner than expected, but I actually found it to be the opposite. When I compare these to the other ones on the list, I think the material is thicker, and potentially that is also a con. Additionally, a few customers felt that the price was a bit high for the set.
Best lightweight: Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Set
If you’re looking for a lightweight and durable packing cube set, the Osprey Ultralight Packing Cube Set is a great option. We own quite a few of their backpacks, so I was excited when they started making packing cubes as well.
- The set comes with three different sizes to fit all your packing needs.
- The J-zip opening makes it easy to access your items.
- The cubes are part of a coordinated system for optimized packing.
- The cubes are a bit pricey compared to other options on the market.
- The cubes don’t have any compression features.
- The cubes may not fit in all types of luggage.
The Osprey Ultralight packing cubes set comes with one small, medium, and large cube, making it easy to pack and organize everything you need for your trip. The cubes are part of a coordinated system for optimized packing, and Osprey is well know for high quality travel gear.
One downside to these cubes is that they are a bit pricey compared to other options on the market. Additionally, they don’t have any compression features, so they don’t save as much space as a compression cube would.
Best for budget travelers: Amazon Basics 4 Piece Packing Travel Organizer Cubes Set
If you’re looking for an affordable packing cube set, the Amazon Basics 4 Piece Packing Travel Organizer Cubes Set is a great option.
- Double zipper pulls make opening/closing simple and fast
- Mesh top panel for easy identification of contents, and ventilation
- Soft mesh won’t damage delicate fabrics
- The slim cube may not be as useful as the other sizes.
- The zippers may not be as durable as other high-end packing cubes.
- The fabric may not be as high quality as other packing cubes, making it less protective.
The Amazon Basics packing cubes have finished interior seams, making them durable for frequent travel. The double zipper pulls make for easy access to your belongings, while the mesh top panel allows for ventilation and quick identification of contents.
The set includes four sizes: 1 large (17.5 x 12.75 x 3.25 inches), 1 medium (13.75 x 9.75 x 3 inches), 1 small (11 x 6.75 x 3 inches), and 1 slim (14 x 5 x 2.8 inches). The slim cube may not be as useful as the other sizes, but it can still come in handy for packing smaller items like socks and underwear.
One downside is the zippers may not be as durable as other high-end packing cubes, so they may not last as long. Additionally, some reviews mention the seams coming apart with only a few uses, and that the handle is not very sturdy.
Best compression with mesh panel: NOMATIC Compression Packing Cube
If you’re looking for a way to optimize your packing game, the NOMATIC Compression Packing Cube is a great option.
- Keeps your travel essentials neatly organized and easily accessible.
- Allows you to make the most of your packing space, making it perfect for longer trips.
- Made from durable materials and featuring high-quality zippers.
- May not be suitable for shorter trips where less packing space is needed.
- The compression feature may cause wrinkles in some fabrics.
- The medium size may not be suitable for larger items such as coats or jackets.
If you’re someone who loves to travel and wants to make the most of your packing space, the NOMATIC Compression Packing Cube is a great investment. The compression feature allows you to pack more clothes in less space, making travel more efficient. The zipper compresses the cube from 5 inches to a mere 2 ½ inches.
Best durable zippers: Thule Compression Packing Cube Small/Medium Set
If you’re looking for a high-quality packing cube set, the Thule Compression Packing Cube Small/Medium Set is a great option.
- The durable compression zipper eliminates excess air between clothes to maximize packing space.
- The semitransparent fabric allows you to see what is inside.
- The set is sized to perfectly fit most carry-on luggage with some room left over for other things.
- The price point is higher than some other packing cube sets on this list.
- The small and medium sizes may not be ideal for larger items like coats or bulky sweaters.
- The white color may show dirt or stains more easily than darker colors.
The Thule Compression Packing Cube Set is perfect for maximizing packing space in your luggage. The compression zipper allows you to fit more items into the cube, and the semi-transparent fabric makes it easy to see what is inside without having to open it up.
When shopping for packing cubes, there are several factors to consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs. Here are some features to look for:
Size and Shape
Packing cubes come in different sizes and shapes to accommodate different types of clothing and travel items. Consider the size and shape of the packing cubes you need based on the type and length of your trip, the size of your suitcase, and the items you plan to pack.
I travel carry on only 99% of the time, so I prefer small and medium sized packing cubes. These are great for underwear, socks, bras, shirts, leggings, and toiletries. I usually only have one pair of jeans with me, so if I’m not wearing them, I simply pack them in my bag loose.
For those of you who pack more clothing and check luggage, the larger sized packing cubes will be helpful to stay organized. They’ll also work better for bulkier items like sweaters and jeans.
The material of the packing cubes can affect their durability, weight, and water resistance. Look for packing cubes made from lightweight and durable materials such as nylon or polyester. Water-resistant materials can also protect your items from spills or rain.
Compartments and Organization
Some packing cubes come with compartments or dividers to help you organize your items. This can be especially helpful for separating clean and dirty clothes, or for keeping smaller items like socks or underwear together.
Compression packing cubes can help you save space in your suitcase by compressing your clothes and reducing their volume. However, keep in mind that if you are good at packing your cube to the max, compression packing cubes might not give you as much compression as videos online show you.
They are more useful for sweaters and other clothing that has a lot of air in it. In my experience, there’s only so much space you can compress out of a pile of underwear.
Handles and Zippers
Handles can make it easier to carry your packing cubes, so if this is important to you, look for packing cubes with sturdy handles. I personally don’t feel like handles are super important for packing cubes, but if you’re rough with pulling the cubes out of your bag, poorly made handles could wear down over time. Zippers that are durable and easy to use is important because a packing cube is useless with a busted zipper.
Color and Design
While not essential, the color and design of your packing cubes can add a personal touch to your travel gear. Choose a color or design that appeals to you or matches your other travel accessories.
While I think all of the packing cubes on this list are good for different reasons, Andy and I recommend eBags as our top choice. They have held up well for more than a decade of travel, and we travel a lot.
Solid Toiletries for Travel: Non-Liquid Options to Pack in Carry-On
How Much Liquid Can You Bring on a Plane?
Can you take aerosols on a plane?
Frequently Asked Questions About Packing Cubes
Here are some FAQs readers often have about packing cubes.
How many packing cubes do I need?
The number of packing cubes you need depends on the length of your trip and the amount of clothing you plan to bring. Generally, a set of three packing cubes should suffice for a week-long trip.
However, if you plan to bring more clothing or travel for a longer period, or if you’re buying packing cubes for you and your partner to use, you may need to purchase additional packing cubes.
What are the disadvantages of packing cubes?
While packing cubes are useful for organizing your luggage, they do have a few disadvantages. One is that they can add weight to your luggage, which can be an issue if you are trying to pack light.
I have actually weighed different packing cubes to use the absolute lightest ones when traveling on an airline with a lower than normal weight limit for carry on luggage.
Does TSA approve packing cubes?
Yes, TSA approves packing cubes. They are not considered a security risk and can be packed in both carry-on and checked luggage.
How to use packing cubes?
To use packing cubes, simply fold or roll your clothing and place them inside the cube. You can then place the cubes inside your luggage, making sure to distribute them evenly. Some packing cubes come with compression zippers, which can help you save even more space in your luggage.
Packing cubes for backpack?
Packing cubes can be a great option for backpackers, as they can help you stay organized while on the go. Look for lightweight packing cubes that won’t add too much weight to your backpack, and choose cubes that fit the dimensions of your backpack.
We travel with backpacks about 90% of the time, and we always use a couple of packing cubes for travel to help keep us organized.
You might also enjoy:
- What toiletries can you take on a plane?
- Can you bring hand sanitizer on a plane? (Updated Rules)
- What to Pack for a Trip: Travel Packing Checklist for Carry-On Only
- 8 Things to do If You Think Your Layover is Too Short