United Airlines is the brainchild of one of the fathers of aviation, William Boeing, who started the business in 1916. The organization is headquartered at the Willis (Sears) Tower in Chicago and is known for its extensive presence in the Asia-Pacific region. United is a founding member of the Star Alliance. It was also the first airline with flight simulators containing visual, sound, and motion clues to train pilots. Keep reading for more about United’s carry on baggage policies.
United Airlines carry on luggage size allowances
Headquarters Country: USA
Number of items allowed: 1 + personal item for most ticket types; for Basic Economy, only a personal item is allowed —
- “If you have purchased Basic Economy for a trans-Atlantic flight, you’ll still be allowed both carry-on items. For all other Basic Economy tickets, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card. Everyone else who is traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge. Payment is by credit card only.”
Maximum allowed in imperial: (official)
- H x W x D = 22 x 14 x 9 in
- H x W x D for personal item = 17 x 10 x 9 in
Maximum allowed in metric: (official)
- H x W x D = 56 x 35 x 22cm
- H x W x D for personal item = 43 x 25 x 22 in
Note: carry-on restrictions might be stricter on some United Express flights, see website for more details
United Airlines baggage info
When flying with United, most travelers can bring one full-sized carry-on bag and one personal item for free. United’s carry on bag size is 22 x 14 x 9 in/56 x 35 x 22 cm, while United’s personal item size is 17 x 10 x 9 in/43 x 25 x 22 cm.
Those with United’s Basic Economy tickets (excluding transatlantic flights) will only be allowed one personal item unless you are a Premier member. Anyone with a Basic Economy ticket who brings a carry-on will be charged not only the checked bag fee but a $25 gate handling charge, which are only payable by credit card. Refunds are not allowed.
On regional flights with reduced overhead space, United will allow gate-checking for carry-on items.
United requires that any musical instruments brought on board as a carry-on must be in a hard case.
For Basic Economy tickets, United allows checked bags up to 50 pounds/23 kgs. For any tickets above that, bags cannot exceed 70 pounds/32 kgs. For connecting flights, checked bags will go straight to the destination unless a layover is overnight, if the connecting flight is not on a Star Alliance partner airline, or if the connecting flight is a domestic flight in the destination country.
United has several locations that do not allow any excess or oversize baggage, including El Salvador, Honduras, and Cuba. There are also many cities world-wide which do not permit checked bags over 70 pounds/32 kgs. These also change seasonally, so be sure to check their site ahead of time.