Lufthansa is the flagship airline of Germany, operating flights throughout the country and all over the world. They are a member of the Star Alliance airline group, which means they can help get you to even more destinations with their partner airlines and codeshare agreements. You’ll find information about Lufthansa’s hand luggage allowances and restrictions below, including differences based on the type of ticket you’ve purchased.
Updated October 2019
Headquarters Country: Germany
Please note that some posts contain links that earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Hand luggage size for Lufthansa
Number of items allowed:
- 1 plus a personal item for Economy and Premium Economy class
- 2 plus a personal item for Business and First class
Maximum allowed in imperial: (converted)
- H x W x D = 21.5 x 15.7 x 9 in
- H x W x D for a foldable garment bag = 22.4 x 21.2 x 5.9 in
- H x W x D for personal item = 15.5 x 11.8 x 4 in
- Weight = 17.6 lbs (this is a per item weight limit for business and first class)
Maximum allowed in metric: (official)
- H x W x D = 55 x 40 x 23 cm
- H x W x D for a foldable garment bag = 57 x 54 x 15 cm
- H x W x D for personal item = 40 x 30 x 10 cm
- Weight = 8 kg (this is a per item weight limit for business and first class)
On certain flights, first and business class passengers must check their second cabin bag. This is usually due to regulations in certain countries or if the flight is on a smaller aircraft. On most Lufthansa Regional flights, passengers can keep their carry on luggage with them until boarding and gate check their second bag. Please verify with the airline.
Planning a trip to Germany? Check out our post about how to plan one week in Germany.