Italy is one of those places so many of us dream about visiting. The gorgeous landscapes, the delicious food, the intriguing history… Italy has it all, and more.
This is a big country. You won’t see everything in one visit, so don’t rush through. Decide what’s important to you and focus on those places and activities.
And remember, the Italian way is to enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
The following posts and information will inspire you to take that dream vacation and help you plan a trip to Italy.
Italy itineraries and more
We’ve put together sample itineraries, location-specific information, and guides to help you travel in Italy. Whether you want to base yourself in one city or explore from one region to the next, you’ll find helpful tips and suggestions in the following posts.
- Simple Italy Itinerary
- Things to Do in Rome
- Things to Do in Emilia Romagna
- Exploring Cinque Terre
- Exploring the Amalfi Coast
- 8 Random Things About Eating in Italy
- Train Travel in Italy
- The Ultimate Italy Guidebook is Finally Here
Italy tour reviews
Tour can be a great way to travel depending on your circumstances. Maybe a cruise is right for you, since it takes you to several places in a limited amount of time. You can get a taste of each destination and decide to go back to one or two for a deeper look on a future trip.
Or maybe you want to plan out your own itinerary and add in some day tours to enhance your vacation. Day tours can get you behind the scenes access, skip the line privileges, and unique experiences you can’t recreate on your own.
- Which Food Tour in Rome Should You Take?
- Underground Colosseum and Roman Forum Tour Review
- Why You Should Take an Early Entry Sistine Chapel and Vatican Tour
- Italy, Greece and Montenegro Cruise Review
- Food Tours: The Perfect Way to Explore a City
Italy reading, guidebooks, and movies
There’s nothing like a book or a movie to fuel your wanderlust. For me, even reading a guidebook excites me about visiting a particular place. Here are a few guidebooks to help you plan a trip to Italy, and novels and movies to inspire you.
- Unconventional Italy Guidebook: 100 Locals Tell You Where to Go, What to Eat, and How to Fit In by Gigi Griffis
- Lonely Planet Italy Guidebook
- Rick Steves Italy Guidebook
- Eat Pray Love: the book or the movie. Both were really great, but the book is, of course, a more in-depth account of the author’s journey through Italy, India, and Indonesia.
- Under the Tuscan Sun: This is the movie version. It’s loosely based on a book, but it’s one of the few books I’ve ever been unable to finish. However, the movie is fantastic.
- La Dolce Vita: The classic Federico Fellini movie set in Italy is a must.
Put one of these Italy wall paper images on your computer, and you’ll be inspired to book that trip. It’s too easy to put off a vacation until “later” so hopefully this will be a good reminder to plan a trip to Italy soon. Go explore the country and experience what Italy has to offer.
- Determine the size you need for your screen, and decide which photo you’d like to download.
- Find the size you need from the correct list, and click on the link. (Don’t see the size you need? Email me and let me know what size you’re looking for.)
- Right click on the photo, then choose “save image as” and take note of where you save the photo. (In Windows, you might be able to save it as wallpaper.)
- Find the file, right click and choose “set desktop picture.”