Lederhosen, sausages, big pretzels and even bigger mugs of beer. This is what everyone imagines when they think of Germany.
But there’s so much more to this country, and it’s well worth exploring different sections to learn about the regional variations.
Traveling to Munich will give you a completely different view than traveling to Berlin. The dense trees of the Black Forest are vastly different than the port city of Hamburg.
The posts on this page will inspire you and help you plan a trip to Germany.
Germany itineraries and more
Since Germany is such a varied country, it’s well worth visiting a few different sections while you’re there. These itineraries and location-specific posts will help you get acquainted with interesting parts of the country. Plan a trip to Germany and see that it’s more than just sausages.
- Simple Germany Itinerary
- Black Forest & Beyond: 1 Week Itinerary in Germany
- Castles and Wine: 1 Week Itinerary in the Rhine Valley
- A Week of Things to do in Munich: An Itinerary
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Understanding Germany’s Food Culture
- Understanding Food and Beer in Munich
- Transportation in Germany
Germany tour reviews
Tours can be a great way to learn about Germany’s history and culture. Some tours will show you the beautiful landscape, others the food. Read through the Germany tour reviews we have on our site.
Germany reading, guidebooks & movies
Guides and other books can help you organize certain details of your trip and inspire you to explore new places. They can also teach you a little about the German culture before you get there. These guidebooks will help you plan a trip to Germany, while the book and movie suggestions will entertain you before you visit.
- Lonely Planet Germany
- Rick Steves Germany
- German Men Sit Down to Pee and Other Insights into German Culture: A humorous, though often accurate, look at German culture for anyone moving to or even just visiting Germany.
- Good Bye, Lenin!: A touching, humorous, and at times emotional story of a woman and her son when the Berlin Wall came down. She has just fallen into a coma, and when she wakes up months later, the wall has come down. But since she was loyal to the East, her son shields her from the shock of the new world outside by pretending nothing has changed. In German with English subtitles, but really worth it.
Photos always help inspire me to travel to a destination. Put one of these wallpaper images up on your desktop as a reminder to plan a trip to Germany and explore this wonderful country.
- Determine the size you need for your screen, and decide which photo you’d like to download.
- Find the size you need from the correct list, and click on the link. (Don’t see the size you need? Email me and let me know what size you’re looking for.)
- Right click on the photo, then choose “save image as” and take note of where you save the photo. (In Windows, you might be able to save it as wallpaper.)
- Find the file, right click and choose “set desktop picture.”